Carbon Monoxide Detector Safety Tips
According to a January 2017 Calgary Herald article, John Gignac of the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation, formed after losing his niece and her family to a carbon monoxide leak in their home years ago, was instrumental in making CO alarms mandatory across Ontario. This summer he is now pushing for a new law in Alberta to make CO detectors mandatory in all homes, noting that provincial jurisdictions need to be more proactive in putting laws into place to ensure families are protected.
Fortunately for Calgary residents, Airmaid Furnace & Duct Cleaning offers a variety of commercial and residential services, including carbon monoxide detectors. As a family owned and operated business, we’ve been servicing the Calgary area for over 20 years, are bonded, insured, and all our work is 100 percent guaranteed. To help you keep your family safe from tragedy, here are a few tips when it comes to carbon monoxide detectors in your home (or anywhere combustion is used to generate heat) from the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) and the Canada Safety Council.
- Install CO alarms on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area.
- Interconnected CO alarms provide the best protection. When one sounds, they all sound. Install both CO alarms and smoke alarms in your home.
- Purchase CO alarms from a reputable retailer that you trust like Airmaid Furnace & Duct Cleaning.
- Choose alarms that bear the label of a nationally-recognized testing laboratory.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding proper placement and installation height.
- Test CO alarms at least once a month by pressing the TEST button.
- CO alarm batteries should be replaced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, at least once a year.
- If an alarm “chirps” or “beeps” to indicate low batteries, they should be replaced immediately.
- CO alarms should be replaced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Make sure that everyone in your family knows the difference between the sound of the CO and smoke alarms, and what number to call for a CO emergency.
- If your CO alarm sounds, alert others in the home to the danger and make sure everyone gets to fresh air outside immediately, including pets. Never ignore a sounding CO alarm.
Breathing in carbon monoxide can make you feel sick, and feel as if you have the flu. You may experience headaches, nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath. People most at risk are infants, small children, pregnant women, elderly people, and people with heart or lung problems. To reduce the chances of you or a loved one getting carbon monoxide poisoning, follow these tips:
- Eliminate CO at the source. Make the maintenance of your furnace, fireplace, and all fuel-burning appliances an absolute priority. Have them checked and cleaned each year.
- Install a certified carbon monoxide alarm in your home and check it regularly to make sure the battery is working.
- Never heat your home with a gas stove. Never use a barbeque, charcoal or hibachi grill in the home or in an enclosed area. Never use a gas-powered generator inside your home.
- During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow.
If you have questions about the carbon monoxide risks in your home, contact Airmaid Furnace & Duct Cleaning at 403-293-1275 today.