Efficient Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Calgary

Our area's cold weather means we bundle up and do everything we can to insulate our homes as much as we can. Unfortunately, this can create a safety threat for everyone inside the building as carbon monoxide can begin to accumulate to hazardous levels. To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal, please purchase carbon monoxide detectors in Calgary from Airmaid Furnace & Duct Cleaning.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal, and wood don't burn fully. This colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas is difficult to detect and can accumulate from defective or poorly vented furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves, water heaters, and generators. And since our homes are so well insulated, the gas has nowhere to go.

Signs & Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Exposure

It can be difficult to determine if you are being exposed to carbon monoxide, because at low levels the symptoms are often similar to that of the flu or other medical problems. These include:

  • Headaches
  • Feeling tired
  • Shortness of breath
  • Impaired motor functions

Higher levels of exposure are often easier to detect, but they are much more dangerous when they are long lasting. Symptoms of higher carbon monoxide exposure include:

  • Chest pain
  • Feeling tired or dizzy
  • Vision problems
  • Trouble thinking
  • Convulsions
  • Coma
  • Death

If levels are extremely high, carbon monoxide exposure can lead to death within just minutes. This is why it’s essential for you to make sure your home is safe.

Steps to Keep Your Home Safe

Carbon monoxide is a product of combustion, so any time you use household items such as gas fires, oil-burning furnaces, portable generators, charcoal grills, or fireplaces, you run the risk of exposing yourself and others to the harmful gas.

While we don’t recommend discontinuing use of all of these convenient items, there are some steps you can take to make sure your home is safe.

  1. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your Calgary home. It is very important to put them in high risk areas like the basement or your top floor.
  2. Check your pilot light often. If it frequently goes out, or you have gas burners on a stove that have an odd colour, this could be a sign of a carbon monoxide leak.
  3. Inspect fireplaces, and other open fires, if the flames will not draw or the fire will not smoke. Also be sure to check these areas and other fuel-burning devices for soot accumulation.
  4. Ensure no vehicles are running while in your garage as carbon monoxide can build up in non-ventilated spaces. 

What to Do When the Detector Sounds

If you have carbon monoxide detectors installed and they go off, there are several steps to take to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

If you or others are experiencing symptoms of exposure, be sure to:

  • Call 911
  • Go to a hospital
  • Do not re-enter your home until emergency services indicates it’s safe

If no one is showing signs of exposure, you should:

  • Open all windows to ventilate your home.
  • Turn off appliances like gas-fired furnaces and generators.
  • After your home has been ventilated, reset carbon monoxide detectors.
  • If the detectors do not sound again, call a technician to inspect and repair your system.
  • If the alarm sounds again (and there are still no symptoms of exposure), vent your home, call the local fire department, and leave your home; emergency personnel will advise you when your home is safe. 

Purchase Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors Today

To limit carbon monoxide buildup, please schedule annual furnace inspections and install carbon monoxide detectors. At least one detector should be located on each level of a multi-story home and near a furnace and gas clothes dryer. Being proactive and prepared is crucial in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Contact us today for more information or to purchase carbon monoxide detectors in Calgary.

Created by

Legal notice